Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Either-- Or

I have had it.  I am finally going to say it openly.  You can be an African.  You can be an American.  Make up your damn mind and decide which one you want to be. You can't be both.  My Grandfather came from Sweden when he was 8 years old.  Never once did I ever hear him refer to himself as an Swedish-American.  He was always an American and damn proud of it!

Why would somebody whose ancestors have been in this country for 200+ years,  still use country of origin as their nationality?  Some probably don't even know where Africa.  Am I being too blunt?  No!  Just thinking....

God Bless America and if you are ashamed to use God and America in the same sentence,  then get the hell out, because we don't want you.---johnnyb

11 comments:

  1. Thanks. I am just plain tired of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I'm second generation Irish, but, I've never heard anyone in my family state we're Irish-Americans. I'm just a good 'ole American born country boy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Same here on that good ole American born country boy. Always have been. Always will be!

      Delete
  3. Bravo!!! Most of my family came here in the mid to late 1800's from places like Quebec, England and Ireland....they became AMERICAN, period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said. Didn't this crap start with old Billy Boy and his band of ?????.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! Well said and Bravo!!!

    Blessings,
    Red

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I lived in the Northeast, they always seemed to have a lot of hyphen-Americans (including Irish). The groups used to be a lot more antogonistic toward each other than now. It is a regional issue. You don't see it much in the South, but than most of the original immegrants came from only a few different areas. I think the change was to create a group identification based on place of origin rather than skin color.

    ReplyDelete