Saturday, October 8, 2011

Rainy Saturday


Nice gentle rain all night. Well needed moisture. Nice after the wind and dirt of earlier in the week. The pic was the storm brewing last nite. God's power at work. Be a good day to do some reading, and watch some football. We are supposed to go pick up the wood stove today, but that may be iffy. Roads may be a little mucky. We will see come afternoon. We are real anxious to get it.
I read a book this week, One Second After, by William Forstchen. Very thought provoking. Brings back the question of just how prepared can we be. I know we are not prepared enough. MDR hit on this subject recently. We can only do what we can and make the most of it. Every month we try to get something extra. A little here and a little there. I guess that's about all we can do.
A lot of survival would depend on working together as a group, large or small. Combining skills would be important. It seems that most of my blogger friends have various skills that would come in handy. There is a lot of the old hands on skills that are just not around any more. How many people could build a steam engine if needed, or repair and run an old one? Blacksmithing, horse-shoeing to name a few. Things are too dependent on the computer age. Even farming is computerized. When I was growing up on the farm, it was all mechanical. We planted because it was time. We irrigated because it was time, and we harvested because it was time. We didn't depend on some guy in a white pick-up with an ATV in the back and a computer in the seat telling us when to do it. Dad learned it from his Dad, and his dad learned it from his dad, and so on. We have gotten to far away from the basics.
I spent most of my life as an electrician. Wiring and maintenance, and electric motor repair. I worked in Emergency Medical Services for a time. I have always done everything myself if it is possible. (I don't do windows). We have bought and completely remodeled 2 houses ourselves. Did it all except duct work and carpet. Did the other flooring myself. I am not tooting my whistle here. My point is that there is a lot of people do not know how to do the small necessary, common sense things that would be a necessity for survival. That will create some of the civil unrest. Those that don't have will want what others have for sure.
Enough for today. Kind of rambled on. Hope it made sense.
Quote for today--"A man always has two reasons for doing anything--a good reason and the real reason."--J.P. Morgan
Have a good one and God Bless all.--johnnyb

2 comments:

  1. One Second After was a good book. You might also enjoy "World Made By Hand".

    ReplyDelete