Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Beast and the Beauty

35 degrees and a little moisture, maybe a white flake occasionally. Just one of those days where I feel like my get-up-and-go, got-up-and-went! Not supposed to get much snow, but I'm not in the mood for any. More west in Colorado. I think winter is getting a foot hold.
We have been doing a few projects the past few days. Carol worked on the raised beds some more. I have been gathering up old old lumber from the tear-down house for use in the garden. We need to check around the railroad tracks for some more old ties. We used up all we had collected. Just hope we can control the weeds better. Also been working in the cabin. Had to get more siding, so I can get the walls completed. We dug up some parsnips, and a few potatoes that were still in the ground. Made a good meal. We will deep mulch the parsnips and gather as we need them over the winter. What is left we will pull in the spring and can. We won't need to plant any next year as we still have some from a couple of years back. Just checked the temp. Heat wave. Up to 39 degrees F.
I've been reading of the Feds test of the EAS on 11-9-2011. Matt has a good post and comments on his site, and I just decided to do a little more reading on the subject.I guess it just alarms me that something like this is possible. I realize why the system was developed. One form or another has been in place since the old Conelrad system we grew up with during the early Cold War years. The weather service uses The system to put out alerts. We monitor weather radio during the severe weather months. the system wasn't used during 9-11, Oklahoma bombing or other emergency situations. Why now? It is just to convenient for those in power to be able to shut down all airwaves for their own benefit. That is my problem and thoughts to the situation. Scaaaary!!!!!!!
The sunsets have been really awesome lately. I like to include them occasionally just as a reminder of the beauty of God's work. I would liked to have been able to observe the Northern Lights. Haven't heard of any reports around here. We didn't look, so if they were it is our own fault for not seeing them.
Thought for today from Dr Seuss--"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."--God Bless All--johnnyb



4 comments:

  1. And to you my friend....God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still in the 50's here but getting colder steadily. I am East of you a bit but it has that feel of finally getting and staying cold.

    Looks like constant wood cutting for a few months now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mighty fine parsnips you have there :)

    So strange - you're getting colder and we on the up and up. Always odd to read whilst we're experiencing a different climate.

    You take care - and Carol too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen-Thanks.

    Pioneer Preppy--We only had a few flakes of snow. Luckily it stayed 200 miles to the west.

    Dani--Wish it was warming here. Long time until spring.

    ReplyDelete