Monday, December 10, 2012

Just stuff

Here it is Monday, start of a new work week, well for some people anyway.  (My how time flies when you are having fun.) For us it is just another day in the wild and untamed world of the retired.  For my excitement to start the week, I woke breathing, which is always a plus.  Did my morning "stuff".    Made an excellent pot of coffee.  ( My opinion only).  Didn't ask for any other opinion.   Took the chickens some warm water and fed them.  They were looking like they were in the attack mode.  This is their first really cold morning of the year.  Temp is on the minus side of zero.  Whoa, just dropped to a minus one, wind chill minus fourteen.  They were a little more pleasant after the warm water.  At least they didn't act like they wanted me for breakfast.  Nothing worse than having to go into a pen of killer chickens first thing in the morning.  I am out of scratch food for them, so they will be in a foul mood again this evening when they discover they don't have a late afternoon snack.  I can't seem to disguise their regular food for what they consider the good stuff.  I will need to go to the feed store soon to keep them in good spirits as they have been providing us with a good supply of eggs.

Deer season ended last nite.  I think it was a successful season for most of the hunters.  At least those that were after meat and not a trophy.  There are some good trophy deer to be found, you just have to work for them.  Our friends from Colorado and Florida are here for deer and pheasant.  They worked hard all week and finally got a deer on Friday.  They had white-tail permits and all they could get close to were mule deer.  But on Friday they got one at the end of the day.  As they were coming back to the house, there was a bigger buck than what they got and four does about twenty feet from their front door.  He has a water feature in the front yard.  We have been keeping water in it for all the critters.  It has been so dry that water is scarce for the wildlife.  The deer had found it and were taking advantage of it.  I have been giving them a bad time since.  There was no need to go beat the bushes when all they had to do was sit on the front porch with a toddy and wait! 

We always enjoy having them around during the various hunting seasons.  They had us over for supper last night.  Pheasant in dill sauce over noodles. Served with some of our home grown corn, Carol's delicious chocolate cake with a decadent  crunchy peanut butter chocolate frosting.  Topped off with the right wine.  Good meal in the plains!  

I have kind of wandered off from original thoughts.  I had some other things to add about our life being retired, but I have rambled on long enough.  I will say though, that I enjoy each and every day to the fullest.  I will continue on next post.

God Bless All--johnnyb 

7 comments:

  1. Walking up breathing is always a plus after one is retired! I was born in Kansas but live in the mountains of Arizona now (sort of). Retirement is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Retirement is good. I have no complaints yet. What part of KS?

      Delete
    2. I was born in Salinas. Lived in Kansas two years and then we moved. My dad grew up on a farm in Kansas and we would go back and visit, they are some of my fondest memories of childhood. Old farm house, plenty of animals and very wonderful grandparents.

      Delete
  2. what an awesome meal!!! oh i am drooling and i just told jambaloney about it and now he is drooling too - bahahahahah! i am glad that your friends got their deer! our deer hunting season has ended too. jambaloney didn't get a chance to get out this year - there is just so much stuff that still needs to be done around here at the Manor....but man, we love being retired at ages 42 and 47! this is the life!

    glad that you woke up breathing. hope you do it again tomorrow - bahahahahahah! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was absolutely delicious. I will try to get the recipe for you. Waking up breathing tomorrow is also high on my list of things to do!

      Delete
  3. You always leave me with a smile...I'll trade you my 75 degree day for your minus one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Our friend from Palm Beach that is here now won't agree with you on the trade. I would if we could get some moisture. Take care my friend. I have something I want to show you. Can I email a pic?

      Delete