Thursday, November 8, 2012

Our little part of the world

I am posting some pics of the community that I live in.  They were taken in the early 1900's and maybe some earlier.  I have no way of knowing the exact years.  The first picture has to be after 1902, because that is when one of the houses in the center was built (it is also the picture in my header).

 The little shed,  and the two houses  next to it are still standing.  In the upper left hand part of the picture is the school, a church and house.   The school was replaced by WPA in the 1930's.  The newer one still stands.  The church was torn down a years ago.  The little house is our little house.  Still standing in all its glory!  Where the church stood is where our garden is.  Everything has grown in weeds and trees now where the main part of town was.  I guess you could say we live in the suburbs.  This is also my profile picture.  The other picture are just pics of the town at that time.
.

Just something different for today.  BTW there are about 6 full time residents now.  During hunting season, this will increase greatly.

God Bless All--johnnyb

7 comments:

  1. John - your town was beautiful - thank you for sharing the pics!!! we have about 20 full-time residents in my village....and maybe 10 more in the summer when the tourists with trailers around here arrive - bahahahahah! our sister community, a fishing village about 9kms away, has about 40 full-time residents. i love small town living and wish that the children here were able to find jobs and not have to move away. i hope that they will come back, as i did. i left to get work, worked and saved as much as i could for 22 yrs and then came home. it's like balm to my soul.

    again, thank you for sharing the pics. what a beautiful town! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish I could have seen it then. There is a lot of Indian history around here. I walk in the field next our house and pick up pieces of flint chips that are remnants of arrow making. I have found partial arrowheads,but not a complete one.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE old photos :) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, John. I love these old photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, My Mother was born and raised in Gorham, Kansas. Between Hayes and Russell. Eventually she moved to California. I went to visit Gorham once many years ago. I think I'd like to come back again but don't think I could make it on my own. I'm 70 now, be 71 in a month, disabled and retired. I sure envey you. Take care my friend. Keep up the posts. I like em.

    ReplyDelete