Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ramblings on hump day

Here it is hump day and I still haven't got the things done I was going to do on the uphill side of the week.  I guess there is always tomorrow, and if there isn't a tomorrow, then it won't make any difference.

We got some more layer chickens last week.  Brings us to 16 hens and one horny rooster, foghorn- the self appointed stud muffin of the flock.  He seemed pleased with the addition to his harem.  That is more than I can say for the other hens.  Kind of caused a furor among the older hens.  They will get over it.  The extra eggs are nice.  We give them to family and friends as they need them.  Carol has made some home-made noodles.  They will be nice this winter.  We have been watching the grocery stores for meat to be on sale to use for canning meat.   We have been trying to build up our supplies a little better.

The weather has been nice.  Temps have been in the eighties.  Cooling a little for couple of days with 50 MPH winds today and tomorrow, not gusts, but straight winds. We still have not had any moisture to brag about.  Farmers are planting their winter wheat in hopes that we will get some moisture.  A lot are not too optimistic about it.  I have been working at getting the garden prepared for next spring.  Everything is done for this year.  Wasn't the best of years for gardening.  We are doing more to hopefully improve on the soil conditions for next year.  Carol trimmed back the  asparagus and mulched it for the winter.  She also cut back the raspberries.  I don't mess with them.  Seems like I always come out on the short end of the deal.  It looks like I have been in a fight with a wild cat.

I had some comments to make about the Presidential Debates last night, but have decided against it.  My blood pressure is back to normal and no use setting it off again.


We had supper with our military grandson on Monday.  He is home for a few days.  Always glad to see him and spend a little time chatting.   We have been dog-sitting with our daughter's Yorkies while he is home.  Allergic to dogs.  With 50 MPH winds, I may have to tie an anchor to the little ankle-biters.  They ain't got much lead in their shorts.

Time to feed the chickens.  I hope that the day will be bright for everyone.  If not, please keep a candle lit to help you find the way.

God Bless--johnnyb

No comments:

Post a Comment