Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Closer to spring

Beautiful weather today.. We worked outside in the yard.  Should be able to get some more done today and then we are to have a couple of days of winter again.  Carol cleaned up in the herb garden and trimmed back the raspberries.  Chives are sprouting good as is the garlic.  I started getting the beds ready for the early things.  Will probably put in carrots soon.  Beets and potatoes not far behind.  I started digging up the parsnips.  This picture was of some of the smaller ones. I hope they show up ok.  My last pics didn't, I guess.


I have stored some in a barrel in the cellar in layers with straw.  Should last a while.  Good eating!  Comfort food.

We got an old wood cookstove last weekend and a 1984 Dodge pickup.  The p/u is in good condition.  Few minor things, but is usable as soon as I get it tagged.  The original engine has been replaced with an earlies engine of the same size.  This is good.  No electronics to mess with.   The stove needs a little TLC, but looks like it will be ok. 

I hope everyone is having a good week.  If not, just buck up, hitch up the belt and give it hell.  One thing for sure.  If you are down and out, the only way is up.  Put a ladder in that hole and climb out.  We all need to be on our best to fight whatever may be coming!--God Bless--johnnyb

5 comments:

  1. John, you might consider going ahead and buying the replacements for the electrical components for the pickup and storing them in a Faraday cage in case "they" pop an EMP over us. If it don't start then you have the replacements there on hand and you won't have to brave the idiocy in the city to get your replacements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea. I was just glad that the engine had been replaced by the older one.

      Delete
  2. Would love to see a pic of the wood cookstove - I'm addicted to them LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of disassembled at the moment for cleaning and repair, but will take a photo soon. It is a Majestic I think.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to see a picture of your wood cook-stove too!

    It sounds like spring is on its way to Kansas as well - I was thinking that you too could start some seeds indoors as well but it might be that our technique might not be as relevant for you. Kansas gets quite hot in the summer doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete