Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday Morning

Nice sunny day on the plains.  We had a little moisture over the past couple of days.  Nothing earth shattering, but anything is good.  I hope my friends in the path of Isaac are preparing for a little blow.  I just wish a little would blow this way. 

The dogs were barking around the quail pen this morning.  I went and checked and there was a hawk in the pen.  I cannot find where it got in.  When I opened the gate it flew off.   The quail had gotten  inside and under some other cover I had for them.  1 dead quail and a lot of feathers.   Could have been more than 1 casualty.  A couple more days and they will have to fend for themselves.  Just one of the stark realities they will face in the wild. 

Carol did up some more zucchini stuff yesterday.  There should be more tomatoes today.  We get a few more then we will can up more.  Started dehydrating onions this week.  Only got one batch done.  Since it needs to be done outdoors and it was threatening rain, I haven't done anymore.  Maybe this week.

I built a very basic, experimental, rocket stove.  Just playing around with the idea.  It works ok.  I need to change some things, but the basic principle is ok.  I think I may build a newer, improved model.  This one was just made from a few bricks.  The bricks were too uneven, so there was a lot of leaks.  It is amazing how much heat it puts out with very little wood.  There is very little smoke put off.  Very interesting concept and can be built quickly and easily. 
Things to do and people to see.  Or whatever.

 God Bless all ----johnnyb

7 comments:

  1. I had thought about trying to add one to my outdoor kitchen area with bricks too. Glad to see someone else trying the frugal route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a rough trial, but the end result was a good learning experience.

      Delete
  2. I'm with K . Good job on that stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading on the different types for a while and was curious. Next one will be from a metal container.

      Delete
  3. I have a friend that builds rocket stoves out of large tin cans. He uses two sizes, one within the other. They burn very hot and clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed with the simplicity and effectiveness of the one I built. I have found a cut-off 30 gal drum for my next one.

      Delete
  4. P.S., I think he uses new clean paint cans.

    ReplyDelete